We have visited Kop for the last two years in February and had a great time. Booked late March this year, to go for a third time in February 2009.

Imagine our disappointment yesterday evening to receive an email from Thomson informing us that our holiday has been cancelled due to Serbia being discontinued for 2008/09. No other reason given, and offering us two alternative holidays in either Slovenia or Bulgaria with a week to decide on what to do.

Gave them a call today, the chap I spoke to couldn't give me any more info on why Serbia had been dropped other than 'maybe it wasn't profitable enough....' He had actually been there himself in March 07.

Anyway, has anyone else got any further info on why they're not going there any more? Won't consider Balkan holidays as they have the awful 5.5 - 6 hour coach transfer from Belgrade - the 2.5 to 3 hours from Nis is bad enough! We did hear earlier this year that the state were selling off a lot of hotels and public companies, the Grand Hotel being one of them, I wonder if it is now privately owned, has shut down for a period for refurbishment, and the prices which they're wanting to charge Thomson/Crystal for the ski season are too high to make it attractive compared to the more traditional European ski resorts?

Can't decide what we're going to do yet as we head off in the morning for 2 weeks camping in France, so have asked Thomson to put the alternatives on hold for us to consider when we're back. The only problem now is going to be lack of availability for Feb half term if we want to go to another destination or hotel, as most people will have booked by now for next year....

Bah humbug....